[Total: 1 Average: 5/5]
Slow Cooked Beef and Lentil Stew
- 2 tbsp Basil -- dried
- 2 tbsp Garlic -- powder
- 2 tbsp Paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tbsp Cumin -- dried
- 1 tbsp Oregano -- dried
- 1/2 cup Plain flour
- 1 kg Beef chuck -- cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tbsp Sunflower oil
- 5 cups Beef broth
- 2 ea Carrots -- sliced
- 2 ea stalks Celery - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 2 ea Onions - large chopped
- 2 ea Tomatoes - cored and cut into chunks
- 1 ea Potato - cut into chunks
- 1 cup Brown lentils
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Chilli flakes
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- 1 ea Bay leaf
- For the spice mix: In a small bowl, combine the basil, garlic powder, paprika, sea salt, cumin and oregano. Mix until well blended.
- For the stew: Combine the flour with 1 tablespoon of the spice mix. Dredge the beef in the seasoned flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the grapeseed oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. In two batches, sear the dredged beef on all sides, adding the remaining 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil before the second batch. Transfer the seared beef to a slow cooker.
- Deglaze the saute pan with 1 cup of the beef broth, scraping up any browned bits left in pan; add to the slow cooker. Then, to the slow cooker, add the remaining beef broth and the carrots, celery, garlic, onions, tomatoes, potatoes, lentils, soy sauce, bouillon, pepper flakes, thyme and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 12 hours or on high for 8 hours. Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs before serving.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 430 Calories; 25g Fat (52.9% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 1629mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat. Check out this fantastic range of Cook Books and Kitchen Supplies