There is nothing better than a steaming bowl of hearty soup in Winter.
This Potato and Leek Soup is perfect for an entre’ or a meal. Serve it with a warm crispy bread roll just to wipe up your bowl.
I have been making this soup for over 25 years. We never tire of it and look forward to making it every year.
The recipe is easily adaptable for those who do not like bacon or are vegetarians.
This soup freezes very well. Just defrost and heat it nice and slow without allowing it to boil.
Potato and Leek Soup
- Stick blender or conventional blender
- 30 g Butter
- 2 Leeks sliced
- 1 Bacon rash chopped
- 4 large Potatoes chopped
- 3 cups Chicken stock
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup Cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chives or parsley for garnish
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add leeks and bacon and saute' until leeks are soft
- Add potatoes to pan. Add stock and milk.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour. Cool slightly
- Puree' with a stick blender in the pot or a blender in batches.
- Reheat and add the cream. Do not boil.
- Serve sprinkled with chives or parsley.