When Winter comes we all love a good hearty soup and the favourite is always pumpkin soup.
We all want the soup to be fast and easy to make. This soup fits all of these wants. I modified this recipe from Donna Hay and added a couple of twists of my own to enhance the flavour as her version was a little bland.
I use Jap pumpkin as they are cheaper whole plus are easier to cut. Jap pumpkin is consistently sweet without being dry and tasteless.
When it comes to chicken stock make sure you use the best quality you can buy or make your own. If you are vegan or vegetarian swap for vegetable stock.
Easiest Roasted Pumpkin Soup Ever
- 1.5 kg Jap pumpkin skin on
- 2 Onions halved, unpeeled
- 2 sml Garlic bulbs left whole, unpeeled
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cumin ground
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 ltr Chicken or Vegetable stock
- 500 ml Water
- Sour cream or cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- On a baking sheet lined with bake paper place cut vegetables cut side up + garlic
- Drizzle with virgin olive oil
- Sprinkle with cumin, salt & pepper
- Roast for 70 minutes or until onion is caramelised and pumpkin soft
- Leave to cool
- Scoop flesh out of pumpkin, squeeze garlic out of cloves, remove onion from skins
- Place vegetables in a pot with stock and water
- Puree using a stick blender
- Bring to boil and simmer until desired thickness is obtained
- Serve drizzled with cream or a dollop of sour cream
- Don’t forget a lovely fresh bread roll as well