This is amazingly good and easy. For those who want a inexpensive meal and would normally not even touch lentils this is for you.
Use home made chicken stock if possible, otherwise the best store bought you can find. Avoid powders or cubes as they can be too salty.
|Olive Oil||1 tbsp|
|Onion, large diced||1|
|Paprika, sweet||1 tsp|
|Red wine vinegar||splash|
|Chopped tomatoes or passata||800g|
|Virgin olive oil|
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the chorizo and cook until crisp and it has released its oils. Remove with a slotted spoon into a bowl, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Fry the onion, carrots and cumin seeds for 10 mins until soft and glistening
- Add the garlic and fry for 1 min more.
- Scatter over the paprika and sugar, cook for 1 min
- Splash in the vinegar. Simmer for a moment,
- Stir in the lentils, and pour over the tomatoes and chicken stock
- Give it a good stir, simmer for 30 mins or until the lentils are tender.
- Blitz with a hand blender until smooth-ish but still a little chunky.
- Serve in bowls, drizzled with yogurt and olive oil, scattered with the chorizo and a sprinkling of paprika.
Can be made several days ahead or frozen for 6 months.
Recipe slightly changed from Barney Desmazery
Click to rate!
[Total: 1 Average: 5]