In 1995 my search for the best bolognese pasta sauce ended when I stumbled across this recipe. The flavour is rich and moreish.
This has become my go-to when stuck for dinner. The trick is to make a double batch and freeze it in portions. It defrosts very fast when put in zip-lock silicone pouches.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- 1 small carrot grated
- 1 kg beef mince
- 1 Pinch oregano dried
- 1 Pinch rosemary dried
- 1 tsp basil dried
- 3 cups tomato paste
- 2 cups tomatoes canned, pureed
- 1 cup beef stock
- Heat oil in a large pot and add onion and garlic. Saute’ until just golden
- Add celery and carrot and stir for a couple of minutes
- Add mince, break up with a spoon and brown
- Add tomato paste and mix in well cooking for 5 minutes on a simmer
- Add tomatoes and mix in
- Stir in beef stock
- Add enough water up to 4 fingers above mixture
- Bring sauce to boil and simmer for 2 hours or until a thick consistency. Stir regularly, do not cover.