I came across a recipe called Italian Wedding Soup. Curious I looked further into it. I am still none the wiser why it is called Italian Wedding Soup by some people but my Italian friend said she would be embarrassed to serve it at a wedding.
Essentially it is a soup of meatballs and vegetables and there are a number of variations to be found on the internet.
Being a lazy cook I analysed what went into most of them and came up with my version that will satisfy cooks of any skill (or laziness).
The soup is filling, hearty and healthy. Perfect for an entre’, lunch or dinner. Great to whip on a lazy Winters night.Yum
Italian Meatball and Vegetable Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 500 g Italian Sausages
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 sticks celery diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 500 ml water
- 80 ml white wine
- 1/3 cup pasta mini elbows
- 100 g Spinach frozen or fresh
- salt & pepper to taste
- Finely shredded parmesan for serving
- Heat olive oil in large pot
- Skin the Italian sausages and gently cut into bit size pieces
- Add sausage to hot oil and toss until brown. Remove and set aside
- In the same pot the sausages were browned in add the vegetables and saute until onion is transparant. Add the crushed garlic and mix in well.
- Add wine and scrape any reamaining bits off the bottom of the pot. Simmer until reduced by half.
- Pour in chicken stock and water, season soup with salt and pepper to taste and bring mixture to a boil.
- Add in pasta and meatballs, reduce heat until soup is just simmering.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until pasta is tender and meatballs have cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add spinach last and gently stir in.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese on each serving.
I ransack my fridge and put whatever vegetables are there on the day. The photo shows the soup with zucchini that works really well if you put it in about 5 minutes before it is finished cooking. Note: This soup will not freeze well but is great for lunches the next day.