As a child, I remember there was a fabulous yoghurt slice you could buy at the local health food shop. I have looked everywhere for something that resembles my memory. No luck I am afraid.
This however is my version of a yoghurt apple cake inspired by some posts I saw when I went searching. I have to say it is fabulous.
It is great way to use up leftover yoghurt and any stray apple you may have.
I love how this cake will satisfy anybody regardless of whether they like yoghurt or not. Better still you can serve it as a dessert at the last minute.Yum
Yoghurt Apple Cake
- 1 cup Greek style yoghurt
- 2 ea Eggs lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup Caster sugar
- 125 g Butter melted
- 1 cup Self raising flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 large Apple thinly sliced
- Caster suger
- Preheat oven 160C/320F.Arrange apple slices on top in a decorative pattern. Sprinkle apple slices with cinnamon sugar.Pop in oven for 60 mins, or until golden and skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.Serve as is, warm or room temperature, or with cream, ice cream, custard or yoghurt.
- Mix eggs, sugar, butter, cinnamon, vanilla & yoghurt together in a large bowl.
- Gradually fold in the self raising flour and mix until just combined.
- Pour into a greased springform pan (20cm/8") or round cake tin.
- Arrange apple slices on top in a decorative pattern overlaping the slices. Sprinkle apple slices with cinnamon and sugar.
- Pop in oven for 60 mins, or until golden and skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Serve as is, warm or room temperature, with cream, ice cream, custard or yoghurt.