I searched high and low for the best banana bread recipe and found it. Unfortunately, I don’t know who/where/what/how I found it so I cannot acknowledge the creator even though I have modified the recipe somewhat.
Now some tips before I share the recipe buy bananas from the fruit market that are on special – you know the ones that they can no longer sell for full price but are still good enough to eat. Buy as many as you dare and put them in the freezer if room permits. Take them out a couple of hours before using – they will be black, mushy and watery but, you will not have to mash them before putting into the mix and they will give you a really lovely finish.
This bread has nuts in it. I use walnuts but you can use pecans if you desire or if you don’t care for nuts or are allergic omit them.
Finally, this recipe makes 2 loaves of banana bread though I often use the mini loaf pans (as per photo). It freezes really well. Depending on your situation you can freeze them whole, slice and wrap each slice separately to take out as you need or cut in half and freeze the 4 halves. Don’t be tempted to halve the recipe – it is so yummy you will want to make 2 at a time.
Don’t use margarine, it is not a natural product and you will get an inferior result.
Eat this wonderful banana bread toasted with butter or untoasted just as it is.
If you can use silicone bakeware. It makes it quick and easy as you don’t have to grease the pans. Otherwise, you may have to line your loaf pans or grease and flour them before using.
The Best Banana Bread
- 2 Loaf Tins
- 250 gram Butter
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 4 large Eggs
- 4 cups Plain Flour
- 2 tsp Bicarbonate Soda
- 6 large Bananas overripe
- 1 cup Walnuts optional - roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 160°C
- Grease and line 2 loaf pans
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each edition
- Add flour and bicarbonate soda
- Add bananas and mix in well
- Add walnuts and mix lightly so as to not break them up further
- Spoon evenly into loaf pans and smooth the top
- Cook for approximately 1 hour 15 minutes. Using a skewer check to see if they are cooked at the 1 hour mark. If your skewer comes out clean they are cooked. The time will vary slightly depending on the pan you use and the actual size of the bananas.