A perfect way to use up apples this French Apple Cake will never disappoint. It is super easy to make, moist and delicious.
This has become my go-to cake for impromptu morning or afternoon teas or to take to a friend’s place.Yum
French Apple Cake
- 125 g butter at room temperature
- ⅔ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs large
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 2 apples peeled, cored and cut into ½-inch cubes (3½ – 4 cups chopped)
- 1 tbsp caster sugar extra
- powdered sugar optional, for decorating cake
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and set an oven rack in the middle position.
- Grease a 9-inch springform or regular cake pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray. If using a regular cake pan, line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and grease again.
- Beat together sugar, butter and vanilla until colour changes.
- Beat in eggs and mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder and rum and mix until combined.
- Fold in the chopped apples.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and even the top. Sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool on a rack in the pan before turning out to cool.
- Using a fine sieve, dust with powdered sugar. Cake can be served warm or room temperature, plain or with lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Freezer Friendly Instructions: The cake can be frozen for up to 3 months. After it is completely cooled, wrap it tightly with cling wrap and seal it in a ziplock bag. Thaw overnight before serving.