I cannot take all the credit for these brownies. Whilst I have changed the ingredients a little the original recipe was inspired from Jamie Oliver’s cookbook Cook with Jamie.
Most people will love their brownies a little on the gooey side inside however my husband rather they be cooked a little longer. I give you cooking times for both options.
Also this version has nuts and orange zest in them. Leave them out if you desire, the flavour may change slightly but not the yummieness.
Finally serving these with Creme Fraiche is best as it cuts through the sweetness but ice cream, cream or custard will be just as divine.Yum
- 200 g quality 70 % dark chocolate
- 250 g butter
- 150 g walnuts
- zest of 1 orange
- 80 g cocoa powder
- 65 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 255 g caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs lightly whisked together
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a 20cm rectangular baking tin.
- Break up the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and add the chopped butter. Place over a pot of simmering water and allow it to melt together with an occasional stir. When melted allow remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- While the chocolate and butter are melting in a large bowl add the cocoa powder, flour, backing powder, nuts, sugar and orange zest bowl, add the baking powder and sugar, then mix together.
- Make a well in the centre of your dry mix and add the eggs. Lightly mix into the mix.Add the slightly cooled butter and chocolate mixture and mix until all is well combined and looks silky and shiny
- Pour the mixture into your backing tin ensuring it is evenly spread.
- Bake for 25 minutes for a gooey centre and 30 minutes for a firmer centre.