This is the simplest fruit cake you will ever make and is much better than a standard boiled fruit cake. The apple ensures this cake maintains its moisture for 4 – 5 days.
The preparation time listed does not include the cooling time from boiling the fruit.
Tip: This cake can be frozen. I cut it into quarters, wrap it in greaseproof paper, then cling wrap and store it in the freezer in a zip lock bag. Each quarter is fully defrosted prior to requiring.
This recipe has been taken from The Commonsense Cookery Book a book I remember my mother and grandmother using.Yum
Boiled Apple Fruit Cake
- 125 g butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium apples green, grated
- 500 g dried fruit
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spice
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Boil all ingredients except eggs and flour for 7 minutes.Cool.
- Once cool stir in eggs, spices and flour
- Pour into greased 23cm square cake pan and cook for 1 hour on 160-180 °C
- Make sure it is completely cold before cutting