Winter is the perfect time to have pumpkin soup. This one is the easiest and tastiest pumpkin soup I have ever made.
It does have chicken stock in it but if you can swap it for vegetable stock or a chicken flavoured vegan/vegetarian-friendly stock.Yum
Easiest Roasted Pumpkin Soup Ever
- 1.5 kg Jap pumpkin skin on, cut and seeds removed
- 2 onions halved, skin on
- 1 bulb garlic unpeeled, whole
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 ltr chicken stock
- 500 ml water
- Single pouring cream or sour cream to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Place the pumpkin, onion, cut-side up, and the garlic on a lightly greased large oven tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 1 hour–1 hour 10 minutes or until onion is caramelised and pumpkin is soft. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Scoop out the flesh of the pumpkin into a large saucepan. Remove the onion and squeeze garlic from their skins and add to the pan.
- Add the stock and water, and, using a hand-held stick blender, blend the soup until smooth. Place the soup over medium heat to warm through. If a thicker soup is required simmer for 10 minutes or until desired thickness is achieved.
- Sprinkle with pepper and drizzle with cream (if using) to serve.