All my life I have been looking for an amazing beef pie that is simple to make, filling and nutritious. Then boom! One day I saw this recipe on a YouTube channel and it filled all my meat pie desires.
So if like me you love a good meat pie that has plenty of meat, just the right amount of gravy then this is for you.
I use a piemaker to make these pies mostly because it is fast and easy.Yum
Scottish Meat Pie
- 1 kg Chuck Steak cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp Plain flour
- Olive oil
- 1 ea Onion diced
- 2 ea Garlic cloves chopped
- 400 ml Beef stock/broth
- 200 ml Red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Bay leaves optional
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Sheet ready made shortcrust pastry for the pie cases
- 1 Sheet ready made puff pastry for the pie lids
- 1 ea Beaten egg optional
- Heat oven to 140°C.
- Dust beef in plain flour.
- Heat oil and add beef. Stir until lightly browned. Remove from pan and place in casserole dish.Note: If you are using a cast iron casserole dish you can do this and the next step in the one pan.
- Add a dash more oil and add onion and saute' until just transparent. Stir through chopped garlic.Add to casserole dish.
- Add the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, beef stock and red wine. Stir to combine.
- Place in oven and slow cook for 2-3 hours. If the meat is falling apart then it is ready to take out of oven.
- Using the ready made pastry create individual pies in either individual pie tins or in a pie maker