Preparing meals for the family can sometimes be a daunting task. Personally, I find it challenging to cook after a long day at work. However, I discovered a soup recipe that combines different recipes and satisfies the need for both nutrition and convenience. It turned out to be a successful experiment.
I purchase fresh chicken ravioli and freeze it so it is a great dinner standby. Tortellini can easily be swapped for ravioli. Italian sausage would be a good option to swap for the plain pork sausage, but be careful as Italian sausage does have a stronger flavour.
Additionally, the leftovers reheat perfectly and make a great lunch option for the following day.
Ravioli, Sausage and Vegetable Soup
- 1 tsp Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 Onion medium, diced
- 2 Carrots diced
- 2 Celery diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup Soup Mix pre-soaked
- 2 Pork Sausages skinned
- 1 ltr Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Water
- 250 g Ravioli fresh, filling of your choice
- 140 g Baby Spinach shredded
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup Parsley fresh, chopped
- Skin sausages and roughly slice and roll into small balls.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat olive oil, add sausage and cook until they firm slightly. Remove and set aside.
- Add garlic, onions, carrots, celery (if using) and cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add soup mix, stock and water and bring to a boil. Add ravioli and cook as per package instructions.
- Stir in sausage and cook for a further 3 minutes at a simmer
- Stir in spinach and parsley and heat until wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
This recipe offers much flexibility, allowing you to substitute tortellini for ravioli or swap out chicken stock with vegetable stock. Additionally, the choice of vegetables to include is entirely up to you. Perhaps you’d like to add peas and corn for an extra touch of flavour.