Canned tomato soup was a staple in my home in the ’70s and I have to say I really did not like it. It flowed on into my early years of marriage as my husband also grew up on these horrible concoctions masquerading as food. Me Heinz and him Watties. Not only did we have a bowl of soup but it was added to all sorts of dishes Mum made.
I now make this amazing tomato soup that is fast, easy, nutritious and without any additives. I used white truffle salt in mine, about a 1/4 tsp. It added a lovely dimension of flavour.
Where you can use homemade stock in this soup or failing that a good quality bought one.
You can have it as is or add a little cream or sour cream to it but only just before serving. Serve with buttered Sour Dough Bread.Yum
Easiest Tomato Soup Ever
- 1 Onion – sliced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1600 grams Tomatoes – canned in tomato juice crushed or whole
- 1 ltr Chicken Stock vegetable stock can be substituted
- 1/2 tsp Basil – dried
- 1 pinch Sugar
- 1 tbsp Arrowroot
- 2 tbsp Water
- In a large pot add the oil and the sliced onion
- When onion is softened add the crushed garlic and saute for 2 minutes on low
- Add the tinned tomatoes and heat on medium until simmering
- Using a hand blender puree until smooth. Doesn’tmatter if there is a little texture it adds to the joy of eating it
- Add the basil and pinch of sugar (the sugar balances out any tartness from the tomatoes)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix the arrowroot and water and add to the soup stirring until simmering and slightly thickened